I have always been a fan of turtlenecks, but for some reason they are thought of as a no go area for most people. The biggest myth surrounding the turtleneck is that they are thought of as unflattering, which is completely untrue. Worn in the right way they can be one of your go to winter staples. Keep them fitted for a chic look or soft and chunky for a more relaxed, modern look, there is a style for everyone. So if your looking for a classic piece to take you into the new season, a turtleneck is the perfect investment.
Style Tips To Keep Your Look Flattering.
- For slim fitted styles, stick to darker colours for a more classic look, think Audrey / Marilyn. Wear with capri pants, a full skirt
or layer under a shift dress to take pieces from your Summer wardrobe into Autumn.
- To draw attention to a slim top half wear a classic black fitted turtleneck with a pair of baggy pants / cullotes or an a'line midi skirt.
- Add a monochrome twist to your look, Joseph has this great option.
I love this navy version with a hint of a white layer, giving it a slightly sporty edge - it's important to add highlights like this when you are wearing a colour head-to-toe.
- To take the turtleneck into evening, go for a sheer fine knit (see above). Wear with a spaghetti strap vest or great black bra.
- For a super casual look, you can't get better than a cosy chunky turtleneck. Wear with skinny jeans or leathers and a great pair of pumps. Nobody does this better than the uber stylish Pheobe Philo.
- Turtlenecks are perfect for layering but remember your proportions - a boxy fit on top requires a slimmer cut on the bottom.
Long hair looks more modern tucked into a turtleneck or scarf or coat.