I have always been a fan of turtlenecks, but for some reason they are thought of as a no go area for most people. The biggest myth surrounding the turtleneck is that they are thought of as unflattering, which is completely untrue. Worn in the right way they can be one of your go to winter staples. Keep them fitted for a chic look or soft and chunky for a more relaxed, modern look, there is a style for everyone. So if your looking for a classic piece to take you into the new season, a turtleneck is the perfect investment.
Style Tips To Keep Your Look Flattering.
- For slim fitted styles, stick to darker colours for a more classic look, think Audrey / Marilyn. Wear with capri pants, a full skirt
or layer under a shift dress to take pieces from your Summer wardrobe into Autumn.
- To draw attention to a slim top half wear a classic black fitted turtleneck with a pair of baggy pants / cullotes or an a'line midi skirt.
- Add a monochrome twist to your look, Joseph has this great option.
I love this navy version with a hint of a white layer, giving it a slightly sporty edge - it's important to add highlights like this when you are wearing a colour head-to-toe.
- To take the turtleneck into evening, go for a sheer fine knit (see above). Wear with a spaghetti strap vest or great black bra.
- For a super casual look, you can't get better than a cosy chunky turtleneck. Wear with skinny jeans or leathers and a great pair of pumps. Nobody does this better than the uber stylish Pheobe Philo.
- Turtlenecks are perfect for layering but remember your proportions - a boxy fit on top requires a slimmer cut on the bottom.
Long hair looks more modern tucked into a turtleneck or scarf or coat.
Summer 2015 seems like ages away but that is exactly what's been shown on the catwalks in New York over the last couple of days.
Here are some of my favourite looks from the shows and examples of how to create them NOW.
A timeless classic that every woman should own at least 3 of and the perfect piece for transitional dressing is a classic shirt.
My stapels are ;
- A crisp white over-sized number that can be worn with anything from a bikini to a pair of low waisted black wide leg trousers.
- A boyfriend style stripe, perfect for wearing with jeans and loafers or tied at the waist with high waisted trousers / denim - for evening wear it with a pencil skirt and strappy heels.
- A super chic black number, I love the mix of black and navy with tan accessories or black on black, again worn as mentioned above.
Style Tips To Keep Your Look Flattering
- Each season invest in a new white shirt, the brighter the white the better.
- Make sure your shirt fits you properly on the shoulders, even if you are going for a baggier fit in the body, this will give you a more flattering silhouette.
- Draw attention to your waist by tying your shirt and wearing with hight waisted cullotes/denim for a more casual look or a pencil / midi skirt for evening (Zara has a great blouse option below for a softer look)
- Keeping a few buttons option and creating a deep V always works well with a shirt, especially if you have a bust, it also gives your look a more relaxed feel as I think a lot of women avoid wearing shirts as they think it looks to formal / officey.
- Never button up your shirt if it doesn't fit you properly across the chest, I know it goes without saying but I still see women with gaps and unintended glimpses of bra, bad styling and fit can detract from an otherwise great outfit.
- To take a shirt from day to evening, try a classic blue shirt worn with blue denim for day (love blue on blue) and add a pencil skirt, strappy heels and a cute clutch.
For styling inspiration on shirts visit my Pinterest page here.
Evere since my mum took some tweezers to my 14 year old brows to remove a few stray hairs and then I decided to take matters into my own hands and ended up with something that looked more like a Nike swoosh I have been into brows. It fascinates me the difference it can make to peoples faces and how often people are accused of having 'work done' when they have simply changed the shape and size of their brows, don't get me wrong though there are some brows out there that are too groomed and enhanced, you never want them to be your stand out feature but rather something that enhances and frames your features.
My favourite brow transformation belongs to VB.
I didn't really get into the whole threading craze as to be honest I'm too lazy/busy to keep up with appointments unless I'm going away or have a big event coming up so I'm much more into plucking out a few hairs every now and again, and often I'll get back from a meeting or catch sight of myself in a lit up place and realise that I should be taking better care of myself. So when a friend of mine who also happens to be the most amazing make-up artist offered her 'HD Brow' services I jumped at the chance, I forgot to mention that I am a total control freak so when it comes to having anything done I have to really trust that person, luckily Fran has the most amazing brows ever so I knew I was in safe hands.
Brow perfection from Fran !
HD brows are less scary than they sound !! It is simply a process of dying, waxing, plucking, threading and filling in (with pencil) your natural brows to make them the best version of themself, none of the process was painful and I am super pleased with the results. Fran has a great eye for how ones brows should be and has told me exactly where to pluck / not pluck and how to brush them and where to add pencil and I feel that I am well on the way to owning the best version of my own natural brows possible.
One of my most recent purchase is a pair of culottes, now some people may shy away from these but in my opinion they are a great wardrobe staple (particularly in the summer months).They are a great alternative to shorts especially in a work environment, brilliant for concealing knees and creating an elegant silhouette. They can be dresses up with heels or dressed down with flat sandals or brogues.
Style Tips To Keep Your Look Flattering
- For a more casual look pair with flat shoes, sandals or trainers and wear with a basic tee.
- Heels are a good way to add a touch of elegance to a baggy pair of culottes and great for evening.
- If you're on the shorter side, heels are also a must to add height and elongate the little bit of leg that's on show.
- For a larger bottom half stick to dark block colours, stay away from print.
- Balance proportions for a more flattering look by going for a fitted top or a body for a really slimline effect.
- Draw attention to a pear shaped frame and go for a high waisted pair with a cropped top or a shirt tied at the waist.
You can see more styles of culottes on my Pinterest page here.
It's that time of year when the Zara sale rails are nearly empty and the new season has started to roll on in, a firm favourite of mine I am particulary loving the happy go lucky nature of their AW14 campaign, not to mention the gorgeous texture in the hair, scroll to the bottom for my picks of what's instore NOW.
High waisted, wide leg pants will be everywhere come Autumn, these would look equally great will a roll neck as pictured or an off the shoulder top.
A firm favourite of mine whatever the weather this jumpsuit is a great piece for those in-between seasons.
This denim shirt is a great tone and length.
I love this colour, the perfect piece to wear now and through to Autumn.
Your wardrobe wouldn't be complete without the perfect pair of white pumps, wear them with wide or straight leg pants and an over-sized coat for a relaxed androgynous look, check out my Pinterest board for more inspiration.
Holidays are the perfect time to let your skin do its own happy shiny thing and breath !
Here is my actual holiday make-up bag of whittled down essentials.
I take my Touche Veloutee by Terry by Terry everywhere with me as it is an amazing highlighting /concealing brush that is perfect for tackling dark circles and imperfections and gives you the appearance of someone that's managed to have a good 8 hrs
I am hooked on this bee venom wonder (as soon as I put it on I feel a tingle) and I can see a definiate difference in my skin's texture after use.
I've mentioned this before on the blog, it's an anti-aging cream and decent (30SPF) in one !! Perfect for everyday use for when you are home or away in sunnier climbs.
I usually find a lot of mascara brushes quite bulky and a little too thick for my liking but with this one you can really make sure that you give each lash a good coating.
The absolute best when it comes to eyelash curlers !
I can't go anyway without an eyebrow pencil and this one is my current favourite having discovered that my old one was too light for my brows (a big no no in make-up land apparently)
I also swear by this product, which is especially great to have with you when flying Homeoplasmine this product is an ointment for soothing skin irritations, but can be used for dry patches, sunburns, chapped lips, cracked heels and ravaged cuticles.